Every individual who owns a dog knows that he/she should possess a good leash for the pets practically anywhere and everywhere they want to take them. Although the conventional rope dog leashes can be a reliable option, yet they lack a lot of features. On the contrary, the best retractable dog leash can provide you a host of advantages, including amazing functionality and ease and convenience of use. That is why a huge number of dog owners find the retractable leashes reliable for taking their dogs out on walks.
Finding a retractable dog leash isn’t difficult in a marketplace like today where multiple brands are offering several products. That being said, however, choosing the best retractable dog leash out of a broad spectrum of available products can be quite challenging.
To help you in making the right decision, we are reviewing the top retractable dog leashes and offering you a reliable buying guide. Our reviews and guide will offer you the utmost help you need to pick the best product in this category with extreme ease and minimum hassle. So, continue reading and explore what we have for you.
10 Best Retractable Dog Leash Reviews
Best Retractable Dog Leash for Large Dogs
Hertzko’s retractable dog leash can carry a dog of up to 110 LBS, making it the best retractable dog leash for large dogs. With its comfort-grip and anti-slip handle, you can hold the leash securely. It has an easy to use brake and lock button which allows you to control the leash. The 16ft long, durable nylon ribbon is good enough for a safe dog walking experience. The ribbon is smooth and glides out and back swiftly.
However, this retractable dog leash by Hertzko may not be able to stand water. Generally, it does not remain in good shape after it gets in contact with water. Therefore, you cannot take it out when it’s drizzling. Also, its brake and lock button can be a little tricky to push down to stop the leash. The handle can be tough to hold in winters when you need to wear gloves.
This leash by Flexi is one of the best retractable dog leashes for large dogs. It is a robust tape leash which you can use for large, active dogs. With its 26ft long tape, you can enjoy walking with your dog while giving him or her the freedom to roam around comfortably. You can handle it with a single hand, making it easy to use. It has a brake button which stops the leash at a certain length. Moreover, it also has a permanent stop feature and an ergonomic soft grip for greater comfort.
While the leash can handle large dogs, it is not highly durable. Moreover, you may also find it difficult to stop the tape as it gets stuck sometimes. The lock may also not work, which makes retracting the leash a tough task. You may also want to consider the fact that it makes a loud clicking sound which may startle your dog.
Best Heavy-Duty Retractable Dog Leash
If you have two dogs, this is the best heavy-duty retractable dog leash. It has two separate dog leashes which do not tangle. Moreover, you can stop your dogs individually with buttons. Each dog leash can handle up to 50 lbs weight. Both leashes have their color-coded buttons. So, you will know which dog you are controlling every time you use the lead and break buttons. It also features a patented 360-degree spin technology which aid untangling of the two dog leashes.
While it has many upsides, there are certain things that you should consider too. The length of each dog leash is 10 ft which may seem small compared to other retractable dog leashes. Moreover, it has durability issues as it seems to shred comparatively quickly. The buttons are often problematic as you may need to press them very hard.
This retractable dog leash from Pet Neat has a comfortable and strong grip with ABS casing. The leash helps you take control of active dogs as it also features an ergonomic anti-slip handle. Its capacity to handle dogs weighing up to 110lbs makes it the best heavy duty retractable dog leash.
Moreover, it has a thick, long nylon dog leash that can easily handle energetic dogs. The package includes 4-eBooks for dog care as well. Another attractive aspect of the product is its 100% lifetime guarantee. So, you can return the product for a replacement or a full refund at any time.
You should consider the downsides of this dog leash as well. Its lock button is often difficult to push. The retracting mechanism is not impressive and can break down quickly, which makes it very difficult to handle and store the long leash.
Best Retractable Dog Leash for Strong Dogs
This retractable dog leash is available in three different sizes: small, medium, and large. It is the best retractable dog leash for strong dogs as it can support dogs of weight up to 110 lbs. You should choose the size of the dog leash according to the weight of your dog.
The leash is made of high-quality nylon which has a casing as well. It is a sturdy leash that extends up to 26ft. In the package, you will receive a safety collar and directions pamphlet as well. You can use the dog leash with a single hand comfortably. It has a one-hand braking and recoil system.
You should also consider some concerns regarding this product as well, though. Occasionally, the coil gets stuck, making it difficult to retract it. The leash might snap after it reaches the end while your dog pulls on it.
This dog leash from TaoTronics is the best retractable dog leash for strong dogs. It can handle dogs weighing up to 110 lbs, which makes it a good option for large and active dogs. It has an ABS plastic casing which makes the leash durable. The ergonomic handle of the leash makes use of anti-slip technology, allowing you to get a hold on it comfortably.
You can use it easily with a single hand. You will also get a bone-shaped cone to keep the plastic bags, which can be used to clean up the mess your dog leaves. This is a sensible addition to a dog product.
However, you should consider the disadvantages of this retractable dog leash as well. This leash is heavier as compared to other usual dog leashes. Moreover, it recoils pretty slowly. The locking mechanism is a bit weak, which may result in damage if your dog is heavy.
Best Retractable Dog Leash for Small Dogs
This retractable dog leash is useful for dog owners whose dogs weigh up to 110 lbs. It comes in three different sizes from which you can choose according to the weight of your dog. The tape leash is reflective and 16ft long.
The reflective stickers and neon colors improve the visibility of the tape. Moreover, the material is high-grade reflective sheeting. It has a single-handed design so you can use it easily with one hand. It has a brake button and a permanent stop feature. The body is compact and lightweight.
While it is the best retractable dog leash for small dogs, it does have its own set of disadvantages. The leash is flimsy, which makes it more vulnerable to snap. Moreover, it has a weak retraction spring. The reflective stickers on the tape may start to peel off quickly. One thing to also keep in mind is that the leash is a bit sharp.
This retractable dog leash extends up to 16ft and comes in a variety of colors. You can use it with a single hand since it has a one-button brake and lock safety system. The handle is easy to grip on as the material is ergonomic TPE anti-skid. Therefore, it wouldn’t hurt your hand if your dog moves and pulls on the leash a bit too much. While this leash is suitable for small to large dogs, it is the best retractable dog leash for small dogs that are energetic and move a lot.
You should keep in mind certain downsides of the product as well. The brake button of the leash may seem dysfunctional. It also makes a loud clicking sound before the leash starts to extend. The string is thin, which means it may shred easily if your dog chews it. Thus, it may also not be able to handle heavy dogs.
Best Retractable Dog Leash with Light
This retractable dog leash from Nasus has an ergonomic handle grip with cushioning on the internal part, which makes it comfortable to hold and prevents getting hurt by the tape. The retractable leash is 26ft long, which provides extensive freedom for your dogs. The material of the cover is non-toxic, corrosion-resistant ABS, and TPE plastic case.
The leash, on the other hand, is of sturdy polyester. It comes with a detachable flashlight, which will make your dog walks convenient during nights. The stainless steel material allows smooth movement of the leash in and out.
These features make it the best retractable dog leash with light. However, you should also consider the fact that it is not very suitable for big dogs. Moreover, since the leash is very long, it may get tangled up, making it difficult for you to recoil it.
This leash is another best retractable dog leash with light. It also has a plastic bag dispenser which allows you to clean up quickly. You get a plastic bag in the package as well. The LED flashlight will make your dog walks at night safer and convenient.
The handle fits comfortably into the hand. It can handle dogs of small to medium size as the leash is thick and sturdy. You can allow your dog to roam around to a length of 16ft. It comes with a lifetime manufacturer’s warranty.
Besides these features, you should take notice of certain concerns regarding the leash. The flashlight often detaches too easily that may result in the flashlight falling off unintendedly. You may have to fix the retraction mechanisms manually if your leash gets stuck. It means you may not want to use it for very energetic dogs.
Factors to Consider Before Buying Retractable Dog Leash
There are certain factors that you need to keep in mind to make sure that you are investing in the right retractable dog leash. Some of the major factors you require considering are discussed briefly below:
- Leash Length: The length of a typical leash determines its usability. If the product happens to be very short, you might not like using it. That being said, you may not require an excessively longer leash if your walking area doesn’t have open spaces and features several obstructions.
- Weight Limit: Every leash possesses its weight limit, which you should not exceed. Weight beyond the restricted limit can result in the breakage of the leash under the increased pressure put by stronger or larger dogs.
- Tangle-resistant Design: Retractable dog leashes usually come with a tangle-resistant design, which incorporates multiple features that tend to make the product difficult to get tangled. Purchasing such leashes enhance your and your dog’s safety.
- Recoil Control: A lot of retractable dog leashes come with recoil controls that help in reducing the amount of strain on the hand. This feature tends to absorb much impact, thereby protecting your hand from getting hurt when your dog tends to pull too hard.
- Lock Controls: Retractable dog leashes usually come with lock controls that help you in controlling your leash length by locking the product up at a specific size, which you require. Hence, always choose a leash with a durable and sturdy lock control.
- Brake Controls: Retractable dog leashes generally come with brake controls, which help you in stopping your pooch from pulling too much of leash out. In turn, it helps you in quickly reacting to cease an issue without causing an injury to your hand.
How to Determine the Leash Length You Require for Your Dog?
Having the right idea about the length of leash you require for your pooch can help you in buying a product that can be safe and reliable for you and your pet. Consider the following things to determine the leash length that would be suitable for your pooch:
- Know your dog size: It is a fact that the bigger and heavier your dog is, the wider and lengthier your leash must be. Thinner and shorter leashes can probably end up hurting your pooch.
- Know the length of the leash: If you want your dog to roam about freely in the entire space, then you should consider using a longer leash. On the contrary, if you’re someone who constantly walks near major highways or on busy roads, it is advisable to shorten the leash length. Four feet must be sufficient for areas with heavy traffic.
- Know your pooch’s obedience level: If you own an untrained pooch, then it is recommended to use a leash length of eight feet for training purposes. During the training period, it is vital to consider developing a safe space for the dog as well as the other people around.
Must-Know Tips to Follow When Using a Retractable Dog Leash
It is a fact that most of the injuries often associated with the retractable dog leashes are the result of improper use. Some of the important tips that you should abide by when using a retractable leash for your pooch are discussed briefly in the points mentioned below. These simple tips can help you in keeping yourself, your pet, and the other members of society safe.
- Consider Planning Your Walks: It is a fact that retractable leashes must not be used when walking in areas having higher traffic or various sorts of obstructions. That is why you should consider planning your walk-in advance.
- Inspect Your Neighborhood: Imagine yourself to be the center or pivot of a big wheel. Your pooch happens to be on this wheel’s periphery. You should consider inspecting and assessing as to what happens to be inside the wheel and its close vicinity. Doing this can help you in making adjustments in your cord length.
- Choose a Leash that Offers High Visibility: As your dog would be at a long distance from you, it is quite likely that the other people on the road may notice your pet, but not you. As a result, they may end up mistaking it to be a loose animal and report the matter to dog control. Possessing a leash, which is made of reflective material, can help you in preventing such an incident.
- Use a Length Which You Can Handle Effortlessly: The shorter is the leash length, the more command you tend to possess over your dog. Hence, take enough time and figure out the leash length as per your comfort.
Also, check out this video to know how to use a retractable leash to walk your dog.
Retractable dog leashes pose to be very convenient equipment to allow your dog to explore its neighborhood while still having a certain amount of charge over the movements of the animal. These leashes are quite adjustable and safe. They help your pet to be its wild self and rejoice its life. Moreover, the product gives you the freedom to take your pet along with you, not only for walking but also for shopping and other outings.
All that being said, as a responsible dog owner, it is important for you to choose the right retractable leash for your pet to achieve maximum usability and functionality. The right leash comes with advanced features that make it highly durable, incredibly reliable, absolutely safe, and extremely easy to be used. Hence, it is essential to make comparisons and perform good research before investing in a retractable dog leash so that you can make a more informed and wiser decision.
The above-reviewed products are some of the widely used and highly recommended items in this category. You can go through them to pick something that stands to be more useful for your requirements and objectives. In addition to that, the above-mentioned buying guide will offer you some of the best and most effective tips and tricks to overcome your dilemma and select the best retractable dog leash for your pooch. However, once you buy the best leash, make sure you learn how to walk a dog on a leash. Otherwise, it may hurt your dog and can cause even death.
TOP 10 Best Retractable Dog Leash to Buy in 2019
Written by Dr. Alex Boyum